SonarPen works great with all models of iPad, iPad mini, iPad Pro. The only exception is the original iPad 1 that was released on 2010.
We aware of the chance that Apple may remove 3.5mm audio port from all its future iOS products. But We are happy to tell you that SonarPen works great with iPhone that only has a lightning port (iPhone 7, 7+, 8, 8+, X, XR, XS), just connect the two with the lightning to 35mm headphone jack adapter that comes with you iPhone.
The SonarPen is a smart pen that bundles with all sort of cool functions to help creation fun and easy. To utilize the functions, you need cool apps that know how to use them. Check out the app list for SonarPen compatible apps.
After the download, run the app and select SonarPen as the stylus to use.
Remember to pick a brush type that responses to pressure.
Here are a few things you can do to help SonarPen works:
- Move your iPad and SonarPen away from anything that emit strong radio frequency (mobile phone, Wacom drawing tablet, etc)
- Make sure the latest version of the APP is installed.
- Make sure the Volume limit under Music in the Settings app is disabled. (Apple Music app must be installed for this to appear)
- Make sure access to Microphone is enabled for the APP
- Before launching the APP, make sure SonarPen is plugged in and volume adjusted to maximum. Then launches the APP.
- Plug in the SonarPen with its tag on the 3.5mm plug pointing at different directions (12 o’clock, 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock and 9 o’clock).
- If none of the above help, try install other SonarPen supporting app to see SonarPen is functioning.
SketchClub hides all the configurations in Settings. So you need to go to launch the Settings app, pick SketchClub on the left and choose SonarPen under Stylus accessory.
SonarPen works with all Tablets and Phones** that have a capacitive touch screen and run on Android OS 4.4 and above.
** incompatible list:
Fujitsu Arrows NX F-04G
SonarPen will work with USB type-C to 3.5mm dongle that comes with your Android device.
Since v2.8.46, ArtFlow began to support SonarPen. To mark ArtFlow to work with SonarPen is easy. Here are the steps:
1. Install ArtFlow from Play Store.
2. Launch the app, go to Settings and click the Input menu.
3. Scroll down to the bottom, and install the SonarPen driver from the Play Store. After the installation, go back to ArtFlow and toggle the switch to activate SonarPen.
4. Follow the instruction on the screen to give permission to record audio to the driver and calibrate the SonarPen.
5. After these steps, your SonarPen is ready for art creation.
SonarPen is the first analog smart pen for the iPad. Its supported pressure level is not predefined by us the designer, because it doesn’t contain an analog-to-digital converter that governs the number of pressure levels. SonarPen uses the iPad’s built-in ADC it connected to do the conversion. Generally speaking, ADC in the iPad has higher resolution than the ones found in all smart pens, which means SonarPen detects more pressure levels. Although SonarPen beats the others in pressure levels, but we are not trying to play up the number game, so you don’t see us brag about it.
The more you use a pencil, the more often it needs to be sharpen. The same goes for SonarPen, the nib needed to be replace when the contact with the screen is no longer smooth. However, experience from our in-house artist shows, the nib still works great after 3 months of daily usage of one hour.
Replacing the pen nib is super easy. Check out the following video:
The disc is part of the writing nib. SonarPen will not function correctly if the disc is removed.
Anyone who order the SonarPen directly from us (including Kickstarter and Indiegogo orders) will receive an one year warranty counting from the shipping day of the product. Please contact us at email@example.com if you encounter any issue.